Skip to main content

Mustard and Garlic Roasted Chicken

Last night I made the most delicious chicken (I know I'm tooting my own horn, but it was just that good!). It was a variation on Jacques Pepin's Quick-Roasted Chicken with Mustard and Garlic that I found in Food & Wine's 2009 cookbook (these books are great if you're anything like me- you read Food & Wine, get super excited about 80% of the recipes in the magazine, and then never quite get to it before it's thrown in the recycling bin; the book has all the fantastic recipes in one place, and is organized by alpha-index and food category).

In any case, Pepin's recipe calls for the following (
with my variations):

4lb chicken (
5lb chicken cut up- I'm always looking for the easy way!)
4 large garlic cloves, minced (
5-6 large garlic cloves)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (2.5 tablespoons course ground Dijon- it looked beautiful)
2 tablespoons dry white wine
(2.5 tablespoons dry California Riesling)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
(2.5 tablespoons olive oil)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
(1 tablespoon sweet-ginger teriyaki sauce by "East West"- it's a fat free sauce found at Dominicks/Safeway and I loove it!)
1 teaspoon Tabasco
(I skipped this, but in hindsight, I probably could have added some hot pepper flakes)
1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
(I didn't have this either, so I put approx. 2 teaspoons fresh thyme and rosemary)
1/2 teaspoon salt
(1tsp. salt because of the larger chicken and change from soy sauce)

After mixing the above and spreading the chicken with the lovely mixture, Pepin's recipe calls for browning the chicken on the stove for 5 minutes before roasting it in the oven at 450 for 30 minutes. Considering I don't have my stove-to-oven cookware in CA, and didn't want to dirty another pot, I opted instead to simply add 1/2 c. of water to the pan and roast it in the oven at 425 for about an hour (basting it with the liquid every 10 min or so after the first half hour).
It was juicy, and flavorful, and I served it with mashed potatoes and the same dry California Riesling used in the sauce. I hope you try it!

Comments

ett094 said…
It looks delicious Elena, wow. The sprig made all the difference :)
The mashed potato idea is good, especially with all that wine/mustard/soy sauce on it.

Popular posts from this blog

60th Birthday Cake

Well, I am sorry I missed it, but it did look good. I will post a picture later. The cake I bought was from Three Tarts Bakery in Northbrook (threetartsbakery.com). It is a wonderful family bakery that I should frequent more often. I wanted to get their COLUMBIER CAKE: Almond cake with orange zest, but it called too late. More importantly, the cake was intended for a 60th birthday of a wonderful person. This is what makes the whole occasion that much better. p.s. Elena: we should make that Columbier at home one day!

Dishdash

I moved to Silicon Valley from Chicago about two months ago, and am on a continuous hunt for good food. Unfortunately, it’s somewhat hard to find amidst the high-tech corporate campuses and sprawling apartment complexes. I had all but lost hope when I stumbled upon Dishdash in Sunnyvale . My husband and I walked in for lunch on a weekday to a loud, but welcoming buzz of people. The fact that the restaurant was crowded was not necessarily telling, however, as most eateries in Silicon Valley are packed around lunch time with engineers hurrying to get a quick bite. Nevertheless, as I looked around, the diners seemed pleased and their food looked delicious. Dishdash is a welcoming space with bright colored walls, high ceilings, and modern Mediterranean décor. Despite the rush-hour, we were seated immediately at a small table by the kitchen. Whereas in some restaurants this could be a turn-off, I found it exciting. The kitchen was a machine. I sat wide-eyed as t

NAHA

Elie, love the name. Love the picture. Love NAHA. This was my first trip to NAHA and I couldn't have been more satisfied. I walked in with two colleagues and was seated by the window along Clark Street- just beautiful. The space is open and refreshing, but not bare. And the pop music added a kind of informality to what is a very formal dining experience.Because it was cold and rainy (actually, my only pseudo-complaint is that the heat needed to be turned up a bit), I started with the soup of the day- a potato soup. The presentation was beautiful! Cool, fresh tuna in the center of the bowl, the warm soup poured around it table-side.For lunch the halibut with sweet potatoes and other seasonal flavors. It was perfect. The halibut was light and moist, and there was a warm sauce poured on top, which again, was fitting for a rainy October day. I left nothing. Dessert- the almond clafoutis. We all oo'd and ah'd when the desserts came. From the foam creme anglaise to the spaghetti