Skip to main content

Cheesecake...

As American as apple pie and Kim K., the cheese cake is essentially curious deliciously rich, and can be made into a favorite late Sunday afternoon treat. Well, inspired by Jaque Pepin, I made this quintessential cake today, as our one year was taking his nap and our five year old was busy fighting enemies on naboo: Simple: 4 eggs, 4 packets of cream cheese, some lemon juice, some vanilla, and a cup of sugar... bake for an hour and stop. Let it rest for a while. Unmold. And dress. I used apricot jam as master Pepin likes, and also added cognac. Go heavy on the lemon rinds, since the smell and taste was just flagrant.
I liked it a lot. Enjoy (make sure you go heavy on the apricot jam).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee

I am not sure how you like yours, but I drink all kinds. The constant is that I never use any sugar and, I would ALWAYS rather have my coffee in a cafe, or a coffee shop. I guess growing up at our house, coffee was always a time to try and get whomever of your neighbors is around, assemble, eat pastries (some would smoke) and TALK. Invitations were yelled orally from balconies, except in the mornings where people take turns hosting the coffee hour (you can always go on Monday to so and so's house for coffee). Anyhow, things have changed a lot, some for the better (I think much better coffee) and some to the worse. Around here, we are blessed with amazing local roasters -like Metropolis and Intelligentsia- that supply the majority of our local coffee shops (See this for a brief description of the coffee scene here). The drink that I order more often than not is a double espresso with foam on top (or machiato - I find the descriptive name easier). Anyhow, on the right, you will find ...

Dishdash

I moved to Silicon Valley from Chicago about two months ago, and am on a continuous hunt for good food. Unfortunately, it’s somewhat hard to find amidst the high-tech corporate campuses and sprawling apartment complexes. I had all but lost hope when I stumbled upon Dishdash in Sunnyvale . My husband and I walked in for lunch on a weekday to a loud, but welcoming buzz of people. The fact that the restaurant was crowded was not necessarily telling, however, as most eateries in Silicon Valley are packed around lunch time with engineers hurrying to get a quick bite. Nevertheless, as I looked around, the diners seemed pleased and their food looked delicious. Dishdash is a welcoming space with bright colored walls, high ceilings, and modern Mediterranean décor. Despite the rush-hour, we were seated immediately at a small table by the kitchen. Whereas in some restaurants this could be a turn-off, I found it exciting. The kitchen was a machine. I sat wide-eyed as t...

60th Birthday Cake

Well, I am sorry I missed it, but it did look good. I will post a picture later. The cake I bought was from Three Tarts Bakery in Northbrook (threetartsbakery.com). It is a wonderful family bakery that I should frequent more often. I wanted to get their COLUMBIER CAKE: Almond cake with orange zest, but it called too late. More importantly, the cake was intended for a 60th birthday of a wonderful person. This is what makes the whole occasion that much better. p.s. Elena: we should make that Columbier at home one day!